The Bachelor of Education degree in Computer Science is a wide-ranging program, encompassing both the theoretical and the practical. The students shall be taught to apply computing to the world around them by building faster, smaller, and more secure software systems, exploring emerging technologies, and working on real-world problems. The course focus on teaching students how to recognize computational challenges, create elegant and efficient algorithms, and then use rigorous development methodologies to build systems that can solve pressing problems. Graduates of the Bachelor of Education in Computer Science program find successful careers interprenuaship, traditional software vending companies, government agencies, consulting firms, academia, and companies in other fields that have software and hardware needs.
The Bachelor of Education in Mathematics and Computer Science programmes takes four (4) years to complete. The first year courses are compulsory to both the Schools of Mathematics and Computer Sciences and the School of Natural Sciences. Specialization starts from second year.
- Mould the students to think critically and communicate clearly in computer science concepts
- Prepare students for 21st century life-long learning systems and style,
- Prepare students to exhibit positive attitudes and values towards self and organization discipline, so that they can contribute to an increasingly complex and dynamic society.
- Train students and solutions to real-world problems,
- Mould students to have an appropriate set of professional skills to ensure a productive life.
Entry requirements first year students from Secondary Schools
In addition to satisfying the general University entrance requirements candidates for admission to the School of Mathematics and Computer Sciences must satisfy the following School’s requirements:
Must have 5 O’ levels in Mathematics and Sciences including English
Candidates who have completed first clearing, Mathematics or Physics and any computer science courses may also enter any Bachelor of Education in Computer Science Degree programme at second year of any combination provided they have passed at least any three of the five full courses they take in first year.
Entry requirements for diploma holders
Diploma holders from a recognised institutions may enter the Bachelor of Education in Computer Sciences Degree programmes at second year if academic of is satisfied with any prior learning provided such applicants have:
- 5 ‘O’ level passes, which include English, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics; and
- At least one year proven relevant working experience.
Candidates who wish to change options need to apply for direct entry into first year in the School of Mathematics and Computer Science.
Entry requirements for ‘A’ Levels holders
‘A’ level candidates may also enter any Bachelor of Education in Computer Sciences Degree programme at second year of any programme if they have:
(a) 3 ‘A’ Level passes in Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics; (b) At least Credit in ‘0’ Level Mathematics or Physics if not taken in (i) above.