This programme introduces students to pedagogy or methods of teaching. Broadly, the programme covers the theoretical basis of learning, nature of teaching and learning, interpretation of the syllabus, scheming and lesson planning, teaching and learning activities, peer-teaching , classroom organization, discipline and conflict resolution in a classroom and finally assessment and evaluation. A practical approach will be made to enhance professional aspects in teaching and learning.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching Methodology takes one (1) year three (3) months to complete. The first year of the programme is done within the University. The additional three (3) months of the second year of study are for school experience.
- Explain the meaning of teaching and learning
- Describe various techniques and strategies for teaching
- Describe the roles of the teachers and the learners in instruction
- Prepare schemes of work and lesson plans
- Conduct an actual teaching session during microteaching sessions.
- Explain different methods of sustaining effective classroom organization.
In addition to satisfying the general University entrance requirements candidates for admission to the School of Education to study for a Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching Methods must possess a minimum of a Diploma or its equivalent in a field of specialization. Students should preferably already possess a first degree in a respective field of specialisation